Supporting Positive Stepfamily Relationships
Becoming a stepfamily is an important and often challenging transition for everyone involved. What are some of the common emotional challenges children face? What pitfalls should stepparents avoid? And what will help the whole family thrive and succeed?
Here are tips for building positive stepfamily relationships that Marti shared on KARE 11 News at 11:
1) Unite on rules, expectations and consequence
2) Let the parent take the lead on enforcement
3) Schedule 1:1 time for fun activities with each child
4) Avoid competing with or criticizing partner’s ex
5) Arm yourself with knowledge about child development and positive parenting
If the video of Marti’s segment becomes available, we’ll share it!
For our Supporting Positive Stepfamily Relationships tip sheet, click here.