Is your child ready to stay home alone?
School’s out and many Minnesota children are spending significant amounts of time home alone. How do you know if your child is ready to be left alone – and for how long and under what circumstances? And what steps can you take to make sure your child is prepared when the time comes? Marti shared with KARE 11 News at 11‘s Bryan Piatt these suggestions for determining if your child is ready:
1) Assess your child’s readiness to care for self
2) Gradually ease child into selfcare
3) Set clear rules, expectations & values
4) Role-play tough situations
5) Set up a monitoring system
To view the video of this KARE 11 News at 11 segment, play the video box above.
To read Marti’s Home Alone tip sheet, click here.